Thursday 22 March 2012

Lesson from the TV show Medium

I'm not normally abig watcher of TV. However, I was away interstate on business recently and found myself unable to sleep and tossing and turning. After a while, I gave up trying to force myself to sleep and instead, turned on the television in the hotel room.

The TV show Medium was on and in the middle of an episode. The lead character that depicts Allison Dubois was having a dream where conflicting forces were competing for her attention and where one of her daughters appeared in danger.

Naturally, this got my attention given I had fought so long and hard against the 'man with the dark hair spirit' who just wouldn't leave me alone over the past 12 months. When the character in the TV show decided to embrace the 'less savoury' of the spirits in order to be able to move ahead with her life and work, it was like a lightbulb moment for myself as well.

Rather than fighting against the intrusion of the spirit who seemed to be part of every mediation I undertook in early 2011 (and who caused me to just stop meditating altogther), I decided to try meditating again and learn to accept that there were more 'spirits' besides my grandma who wanted my attention - and I've since learnt that there is always some reason why a 'spirit' wants to get a 'message' across.

You see, two weeks after I started meditating (spiralling) again, my mother paid us a visit from interstate and as she is getting older, decided to bring some old family photos to reminisce about the past. Included in a stack of photos was one that caused me to yell out in shock when I first saw it (to be honest, I swore more than a few times when it flashed before my eyes).

It was the image of the 'spirit with the dark hair and hula hoop' who had infiltrated my meditations and wouldn't leave. In reality, it was a picture of my grandfather, my mother's Dad, my grandma's husband and a man who died in his twenties of a heart attack before I was born. I'd only ever sen one picture of him when I was young and had never remebered the image.

This completely shocked me (no, he wasn't carrying a hula hoop) but he was running on a beach and I had to take several deep breaths to calm myself.

Ultimately, my fear of the 'hula hoop spirit' disappeared and a sense of calm returned to my life (in more ways than one) including my desire to begin meditating again.

My greatgrandfather and I have 'spoken' on several occasions while I've been 'spiralling' and he has got his message acrss to me about my mother and her health issues. I am looking out for her.

You see, I cannot explain so many things, coincidences, intuitive moments and actions. Amazingly, these moments happen to me more regularly when I'm meditating and spiralling. Maybe because I'm thinking about it more, maybe for no reason at all.

The important thing for me is that I'm content that I can get back to being me - a normal guy, working to make a life like everyone else and a person that for some reason, seems to get messages through mediation and dreams.

Next time, I'll share the message from 'Grandma' that she wanted Shirley to hear. And thanks to Shirley for agreeing (in fact wanting me) to share it with everyone on my blog.

And I'll do my absolute best to get to emails as soon as a I can.   

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I was going through some old links in my "favorites" and I saw your blog link and thought I'd check to see if you have started posting again. Low and behold, you started back this week! Great! I look forward to reading about your experiences again! All the best
    Todd

    ReplyDelete