Tuesday 5 April 2011

Losing a long time friend over 'coming out'

Phil* and I were friends for over 25 years. Shared many great times, celebrated weddings and the birth of our children and conducted too many post mortems as to why our favourite football team was having such a wretched season or why one of us was suddenly single.

Our friendship had endured for two decades plus despite these days living in different cities and prolonged periods where, due to both our work commitments and the busyness of our daily family lives, we could go 6 to 12 months without talking to each other. It didn’t matter. Either one of us could email or pick up the phone at anytime as though we had spoken just the day before. We were brothers except in name. Bonded through an understanding of what the other person was like and what made them tick.

Last week our friendship ended. There was something I’d been keeping from Phil for some time. Years in fact. Could never bring myself to even mention it but felt the need and urge to finally get it off my chest. Essentially, I decided to come out to my closest friend.

The response from Phil was worse than I expected. Yet, even now, I’m half expecting the phone to ring at any time and hear his voice on the other end offering muted support and understanding. Isn’t that what long term friendship is about?

I can understand his shock. It isn’t everyday that your best friend aged soon to turn 50 picks up the phone and delivers this type of news. Don’t think it was easy for me. Besides telling Phil and my current partner (who is coming to terms with it slowly), no one else knows. I’m not sure anyone else close to me will be told now if this is the reaction I’ve received from those that know me best.

And as I work in head office for a conservative global company at a very senior level, how on earth can I remain true to myself yet still keep my day job. Do I keep it a secret or be true to myself and out myself as a closet medium.

Oh yeah. Just realised. Forgot to mention that earlier. That is why my friendship over 25 years has ended with Phil. I told him I’ve had visits from the other side for longer than I can remember.

Told him I didn’t understand it either and I’ve been for MRI scans, seen psychologists and medical experts trying to get to the bottom of what happens when I meditate but to no avail. According to medical science, I’m fine.

I explained to Phil that I’m as sceptical as the next person and want science to give me an answer as I’m no crackpot or dial up psychic doing this for money. I don’t charge a dime nor would I want to. Hook me up to any machine reputed to be capable of giving a medically trained expert an answer and I’m there.

I gave him examples of what I’ve ‘seen’ and ‘heard.’ Examples of what I’ve passed on to others who sort me out a few years back. Stunned silence.

We spoke about his leap of faith in going to church each Sunday to pray to someone he couldn’t see. We spoke about how it would have been easier for him to accept if I had come out and told him I was gay. I asked him why.

It is just far more acceptable. I asked him why. He hung up. I haven’t heard from him since. It’s a shame but I’ve decided that it is more important to stay true to myself.

I’m not doing this for money or sympathy or notoriety. I’m doing this for the millions in the world who just happen to have faith in something that doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of mainstream society. God knows I wish I had the proof, the answer or a scientific explanation. Not a week goes by that I don’t question my sanity. Even my pseudonym irks me. I’d love to write under my proper name but I know that it would cause too much hurt and embarrassment to my family and I doubt my career would continue with my current employer. It’s just too big a risk at present to give up my executive job with school fees and a mortgage to pay. Pity I can’t be honest, but that’s life.  

In the end, it is what it is and what I experience is what I report here and on my blog. I mentioned it to Phil. I hope he reads it. I doubt he will. I guess there will be more days like this.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the place you find yourself in right now. Good luck navigating through this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's situations like this that show you who your friends truly are. Somehow I expect you'll make new friends through all this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have compassion for both Phil and yourself regarding this. Sometimes you have to give someone you love the time and space to work out the issues that still are areas of growing they need to do. Sometimes it takes years. It may have been very painful for him to find out that you haven't been honest with him for all these years. The issue that divides you is one where he has to overcome a lot of ignorance and prejudice before he can integrate it into his world. If you'd be happy to be friends again when and if he is ready, drop him a short note saying just that and don't push it otherwise. You have your path to follow, and it may cross with his again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Carol. I appreciate the comment and it is wise advice. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly appreciate the nice comments from all. Yes, I'm also making new friends because of my coming out and I feel much stronger for being true to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello White Collar Medium, I have just read your article in this months Wellbeing edition. I have being drawn to write to you after reading it. It is so hard to really be yourself when you have family or partners who really cannot understand what you are all about. I knew I was different at High School, but my parents tried to put me on a more realist path which has made my life really hard to deal with, and I am still battling with it. Please follow it through and find out who you really are. Ill be following your progress. Fran

    ReplyDelete