Monday 14 March 2011

My first outing as a Medium

As a novice in this type of work, I wouldn’t normally be the first to volunteer when our host asked for group members to open the free association feedback for Darlene’s dream. However, I felt compelled to on this occasion, given the ‘urging’ I was feeling courtesy of my grandma’s spirit that I felt was overwhelming my senses from across the room.

I looked down at the notes ‘she’ had helped me write, looked back at the spirit ‘figure’ that shimmered behind Darlene and followed my grandma’s ‘lead.’     

 The dream reminds me of the sense of powerlessness we sometimes have in our lives. Others who are carrying weapons can make us feel like spectators, unable to do anything and making us feel like we are on our own.

The dream reminds me of the saying often used by the elders in my native Brazil – evil always has a message. In this case, the jester is doing something evil by chopping the top off people’s heads but there could be good to come out of this, it now exposes the mind, opening it up to new thoughts, ideas and directions. In the past, these may have been closed off.

The dream reminds me that sometimes we can be running faster than the crowd but still can’t catch up to where we need to be. This makes us feel helpless. But we must have the end goal in sight – the goal being that we are often here for a better cause even though we are being taunted at present because we still feel way behind.              

I looked up and Darlene was writing furiously. A lot of the time she nodded and I took comfort that the insights she was being provided with seemed to be striking a cord with her

Our host suggested someone else may like to offer some feedback but Darlene interrupted him and looked at me.

‘Please go on,’ she asked me. I continued.

 The dream reminds me of a term that I have heard often in my life. We can turn darkness around if our motives are right. Feel pity for the jester, stop chasing him, let him go and don’t follow him. Go in a new direction and leave the jester behind.

Tears rolled down Arlene’s checks but she continued writing. Like her, I couldn’t stop and my grandma’s ‘advice, words, guidance’ came pouring out of my mouth.

 The dream reminds me of many horror movies I have seen where the victims feel impotent to do anything about the evil character. They are not strong enough to do anything about the situation.

 The dream reminds me that sometimes we have a feeling of being held back in our lives because we live by the motto that it is ‘better the devil you know’. Perhaps a better motto would be ‘stop and get to know the devil you don’t know’ – yourself.

 The dream reminds me that we have to stop running around in different directions and find another way. Go with your own feelings and stuff everyone who thinks you should follow their rules.

 The dream reminds me of encouragement. By this, I mean the jester hasn’t done as much damage as he could have done with a machete. He has only taken the top off people’s heads and this can heal. This gives us hope.

 The dream reminds me that we need to get to know who the jester is. When we do get to know him, to understand him and get in touch with what he represents, we will take away his power.

 The dream reminds me that often we wake up from dreams when the best or worst part is about to happen. Next time you have this dream (I remember staring straight at Darlene) follow him and see where he leads you. Live life a little dangerously.

My final piece of feedback that night ‘via my grandma’ for Darlene was something that made her gasp and put her hand to her heart. Rather than a metaphor, a figure of speech, an anecdote or an example, this feedback was direct.

“There is a letter ‘M’ written on the blade of the machete. You need to disarm him before he hurts you.’

 There was a lot of discussion for the remainder of the night but I don’t remember much more than Darlene’s words to me as we were about to leave.

“My husband’s name is Mark. He has a cutting tongue, puts me down all the time and I’ve had enough of his belittling me. I’ve been thinking about leaving him. Thankyou.” All I could do was smile nervously and make a hasty exit to my car.

As I drove home that night I felt enormous guilt, concern, wonderment, humility and fear that I may have been responsible for a tearing a marriage apart.

What worried more than that was that I had no understanding of what had taken place that evening. It didn’t take long to find out. I had another visit from my grandma later that night. And it all began to be revealed – and still continues to do so over a decade later.        


No comments:

Post a Comment