Friday 25 March 2011

Truth and Proof

In the coming days and weeks, I intend to share some more of my experiences and 'chats' with the other side. As I go through my notes and jottings from the past decade, at times the detail still strikes me as a little unbelievable (and I'm the one experiencing them!). So before I share these with you, I’d like to tell you about my inner battles in coming to terms with what I’ve experienced in the past decade or so.

Unlike a lot of other mediums or psychics who often write or talk about understanding and accepting their special abilities from a young age, for a long time I was entirely the opposite. And while I’ve come to accept, I still fail to understand.

As you know, I was trained as a journalist, then added an Arts Degree from university and have been working in the corporate world for nearly 25 year. Asking questions, challenging and testing a premise and implementing rational decision making processes are part of what I do and what I am.

So confronted with my visions and ‘conversations’ with the other side, and needing to know why or at least find a rational reason for why I experience what I do (at one stage, I even hoped that I would be diagnosed as having a mental illness), I visited doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists and counsellors in the hope that I would be diagnosed with some sort of disease that would at least be able to answer the question of what and why this was happening to me. This would have been a relief to me.

I’ve undergone MRI brain scans, attended countless workshops, academic and medical seminars and read an enormous amount of literature to try and get to the bottom of it all and find that ‘ah ha’ moment when it all made sense according to science. I’m still searching and still trying to understand and it will take some time yet (for me and others to understand (one of the ‘visitors’ from the other side did explain to me why it will take some time yet but I’ll get to that in a later blog).

So when confronted with not being able to understand how or why, I guess you either accept or choose not to accept. For me, it was and still is a question of (a) do I forget about all this and go back to my ‘normal’ life and risk the headaches? (b) accept what I experience when I meditate and be happy that I don’t get headaches accepting that the down side is I have paranormal experiences?

Ten years ago I chose (b) and accepted the premise that just because I can’t understand doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. It wasn’t an easy decision at all and I still doubt myself often. And the sceptics make some good points that resonate with me and the way I think in my day to day life.

In the end, what helped convince me to just go with it and accept it was the concept of faith. I think I’m the least religious person on earth but what I admire in people who support a religion is their faith in the face of the unknown. I’m not saying they are right because I’ve been ‘told’ by my ‘visitors’ that while there is a superior power or source, our minds aren’t able to comprehend (yet!) what that entails so we individually or collectively choose a name, religion or way of life to make meaning of what we can or want to understand. This is faith.

As we all know, humans seem to fall into one of three categories in regards to faith. You either have it or you don’t or you have an each way bet.

After years of counsel from medical experts and mulling it over myself without finding the answers I sort, it was a leap of faith that eventually made me accept what I experience when I meditate.

I came to the conclusion that many people don’t see God or whomever else they believe in but accept him/her/it/their religion anyway as a leap of faith. Was I any different? Just because I couldn’t see it, did it mean it wasn’t there?  

So having been unsuccessful in seeking answers about my ‘condition’ from scientific experts and their trusted tools of medicine, I decided to make a choice and I took a leap of faith. If nothing else, the headaches stopped immediately and haven’t returned. Go figure. I wish science could.  

3 comments:

  1. A friend of mine recommended your blog. I also have anomalous experiences that I struggle with. I've been to doctors, counselors, neuroscientists and parapsychologists looking for help. So I can relate to your desire to understand these experiences.

    Good luck with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not saying they are right because I’ve been ‘told’ by my ‘visitors’ that while there is a superior power or source, our minds aren’t able to comprehend (yet!) what that entails so we individually or collectively choose a name, religion or way of life to make meaning of what we can or want to understand.

    I agree that we can't understand God. I think the concept most people have of God is an invention of the human mind. However if you consider the God's job description: creator of the universe, creator of the earth, creator of life on earth and humankind, shepard of humankind, and the answerer of prayers - then there might be one or more entities or groups of entities that are involved in doing those things. I was raised religiously so it is just natural and convenient for me to continue to use the word / idea of God - I know there is something but I also know I don't understand it in detail.

    Also, you might be interested in this blog by another reluctant medium:


    http://sandstonesquarry.blogspot.com


    Lastly, have any of your other readers mentioned problems with commenting? I find that with blogspot I have problems with the comment system unless the blog is configured to have comments on a separate page from the blog post. It doesn't display the preview correctly on my browser (internet explorere) when the comment box is below the blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback. Sandy - I like your blog and reading material from people like Dean Radin is helpful. Good luck with your journey too. Nice to know there are others on the same path to hopeful understand.

    Anonymous, I haven't had any other readers mention problems with commenting although I'm no tech expert myself.

    I have no problem with people desrcibing a higher source as God or whatever they choose. My belief is something exists and just because I've received some answer or response (if this is what it is) doesn't mean I'm right either. I believe some greater power or source exists thinbut unless I can see it with my own eyes one day, it will be a belief until then. greater

    ReplyDelete